Sunday, December 2, 2007

My Mission

When I was laid off in January 2007, I had a lot of thoughts going through my head. Why me? What next? But among the clutter in my brain, one idea kept recurring...maybe there's a way I can use my skills to help the greater good, instead of just padding someone's bottom-line. I didn't find a job that would give me that opportunity, but the thought has persisted for the past 11 months. And now I think I have my chance.

My church, First Presbyterian, in Fort Collins, CO has started sponsoring a Christian-based AIDS clinic in Jos, Nigeria called Faith Alive. I had never heard of Jos or Faith Alive before, but I have been inspired by the passion shown for the organization by our members and pastors who have visited. Also, I had the great pleasure of hearing Dr. Chris Isichei, the founder, share his story on a recent visit to the US. In a nutshell, Dr. Chris (as he likes to be called) told us that the greatest investment that we can make is not in IRA's or mutual funds, but in human life. He is an amazing man who started the clinic in his living room, offering vitamins and prayers to HIV/AIDS patients. The organization has come a long way since those humble beginnings and they are still growing. Check out their website on the sidebar for more info.

So to make a long story short, I have volunteered to create a fund raising/promotional video for Faith Alive. I am not really sure what I've gotten myself into, but I can't wait to find out.

As my journey unfolds, I'll use this blog to tell my story.

2 comments:

Uncle Rex said...

Chris,
Praise the Lord that God has given you this mission and ministry! Your faith and God given talents will be extremely helpful in telling this story of how you and your friends are reaching out to help others. The AIDS epidemic in Africa has devastated too much of the population and the rates of infection continue to rise. Aside from the health crisis this has caused, it has had a negative impact on the economy of Africa. There are things going on there that have been caused by the AIDS epidemic that we just can’t begin to imagine. However, God willing you may find a way to better tell the story through your documentary video.

I realize how important this is because I’ve personally been involved with two local mission groups currently operating in Kenya. One is through the Kenyan population who worship at our church in Marietta and the other is through an associate, Michael Agwanda, who started and runs a ministry program to help AIDS orphans in Kenya. You can read more about what they are doing by visiting www.lifeforchildrenministry.org.

Anyway, prayers and blessings for a successful mission trip.

Uncle Rex

Anonymous said...

Chris-
Nathan and I got your letter in the mail yesterday and we thought it was quite coincidental that you are going to Nigeria soon. We went to Nigeria in March! (Crazy huh?)

My parents grew up in Nigeria as missionary kids and so I had heard stories about it my whole life. It was always a dream of mine to go and see it for myself. This year the Baptist Medical Hospital in Ogbomosho, Nigeria had its 100th anniversary and we went to help celebrate (one of my grandfathers was a doctor there for many years). It was a great trip! The people are so welcoming- their greeting isn't hello, it is "You are welcome". (But watch your stuff, some can definately be shady.)

While there, Nathan and I went to Lagos, Ogbomosho, Oshogbo, Shaki (or Saki), Oyo, and Nate went to Kontagora. So we had a full tour. We also visited a lot of hospitals, an orphanage, blind school, and our favorite- the leprosy colony. We loved the people there! God gives you a great feeling when you can brighten the day or month of a person who has been neglected by their community.

While we were spending the night in Lagos at a Bible Guest house, a white American man from some mission in Jos (maybe Faith Alive) ate dinner with us and talked about the program. Who knew that we'd know someone from back home that would actually go..?

I'd be happy to help you out if you have questions on where to visit, what to take, what to expect, etc. Just email me at shutterstitch@gmail.com . You can also see a few of my photos from the trip on my website- www.shutterstitch.com .

Oh yeah, and my Mom lived in Jos for several years as a kid, so I'll have to tell her you are going. She'll be excited!

Good luck and God Bless!
- Karen (Low) Phillips
a.k.a. "Crayon"