Saturday, February 9, 2008

Back in the US of A

Let me first say thank you to everyone who read this while I was gone. I wanted to share more with you, but I had a hard time justifying my use of the internet when my time could be spent with my other group members or at the clinic. So for the past week I've pretty much shunned the internet. I did send Anna a couple of e-mails, but even they were short. So, thanks for reading and I'll try to do some recaps on this in the coming days.

As for now, I'm tired. We left our hotel in London yesterday at 6:00am local time and arrived in Denver around 7:30pm, which is like 2:30 am in London. So by the time we finally got back to the Fort, we had been travelling for nearly 24 hours. Yuck. Thankfully, we arrived at night so the sleep schedule should get back to normal fairly quickly. I slept about 10 hours last night and I still feel a little worn down. Partially from the travel, but also a part of it comes from the long days we had in Jos the past 2 weeks. But now it's time for reintegration into American society and culture. It's time to see how my mind and my heart react to the differences. We stayed in a pretty comfortable place and ate good food in Jos, but as soon as we left our apartment compound, we were surrounded by extreme poverty. It's already kind of weird to sit here and look at all of the stuff we own. It's weird that we have running water and don't have to rely on a generator for electricity. I have a feeling that the next couple of weeks are going to be tough for me. I haven't talked too much to Anna, yet just cause I don't even know where to start. I feel like I can't even say anything that can convey what we saw. Pictures will help, and I hope the video does as well, but there's something about being there that you can't explain. So if you talk to me in the next few days, just bear with me. Believe me, I want to share my story, but I still need to figure it out for myself. So is it good to be back? Yes and no.

Thanks for reading and God be with you!

2 comments:

stephen s said...

Hello Son,
We're glad you're back safe and sound. I know you have a lot to process right now. We'll give you all the time you need. We've enjoyed your blog as well as that of the group. I've copied and shared it with others. It sounds like you had a blessed journey and did a lot of good for the people of Jos. Give us a call when you get rested up and are ready to share your story. I know this was something you felt you had to do but we're glad to have you back here.
Love you bunches,
Mom

Unknown said...

Chris
After my first trip to Faith Alive I prayed and prayed that God would sent others to see and help,after returning many would not listen to the stories of the sufferings and pain. So prayed more and weeped,a few responded others just wanted to talk of weather or sports. Thanks for answering the call and for being a inspiration to me while in Nigeria. I can't wait to see where God leads you from here.
with great hope
russ