Wednesday, January 16, 2008

10 days and counting

10 days! That's it! I still don't think it's completely sunk in. Maybe when I'm on a bus from Abuja to Jos I'll finally believe it. In the midst of my disbelief, I still have to act like I'm really going to Nigeria at the end of next week. We're meeting on Monday to pack our boxes of medications and we're supposed to bring along what we're planning to take with us. We're allowed 3 pieces of checked luggage each and a carry-on. Other folks are probably going to be able to put their clothes in their carry-on, but I'm out of luck. I need to carry on my camera so that it's handled with care, so my clothes are either going in a shared suit case or in a box with meds. Honestly, I'm not sure how much to take. We can have our laundry done while we're there, so I can go on the light side. Plus, it's going to be 80 so shorts are going to be a mainstay. I guess I'll end up packing very light and doing my best to stay clean!

So like I said last night, I am looking forward to one thing in particular when we're in London. What you ask? Fish and chips. Yep, good ole fried fish and french fries. It makes me hungry just thinking of it. I was in London for a couple of days in 2002, but it was near the end of my trip and I was definitely on a budget. I cooked most of my food myself. In fact, my one memory of food in London was swiping some dipping sauce from a McDonald's to put on a sandwich I'd put together from a trip to the grocery store. I don't know if I'll get my chance this time either, but I'm going to mention it to Russ on Monday. Seems like those fish and chip stands were pretty common, so as long as I can get into London, I can clog my arteries!

Thanks for reading! God be with you!

No comments: