Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Time Has Come

Well, this is my last night in the Choice City for a while. We're meeting at 1:30 tomorrow and should be on the road to DIA by 2:00. I confess that I'm not sure what time my flight is tomorrow night, but I know it's going to be long. Okay, I just checked and it appears the flight is at 6:30. So in less than 24 hours I'll be airborne. In just three days I will have been on three continents! It's funny to think about it like that. It's been a rough week for me between work and trip preparations, so I'm anxious to finally get this thing underway. I'm pretty exhausted today, so this probably won't be very long. Maybe I'll feel inspired tomorrow and write more...if I have time. But since that isn't guaranteed, I want to take a minute to thank y'all for your support and prayers. A lot has happened since I decided to make this trip, but things have consistently worked in a manner that makes me think I am indeed doing the right thing. As I said, I'm anxious to get going and I can't wait to share my experiences with you. I hope to update this often, and we also have a group blog that we'll try to update. We may even get to add pictures, but don't hold me to that. www.faithalivejourney.blogspot.com

I do have one point that I want to touch on that I just realized today. Yes, just today. I was trying to imagine what preconceived notions I had about HIV/AIDS and those who suffer from it. And I realized that I don't think I've ever met someone who's had AIDS. Well, at least not anyone that I was aware of. And that throws into sharp relief the cultural differences of our country and the rest of the world. I imagine that the majority of the folks I'll be interacting with in Jos, will be either HIV positive or in some way affected by the disease. So to say that my world view will change is probably an understatement.

So, thank you all for reading and I'll be in touch! God be with you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I didn't get in touch before you left, but I hope that by the time you are reading this that you're having an amazing time. I'm so glad you're going to get your fish and chips! Eat some with ketchup for me, ok? I know you are going to have a life-changing time on this trip and am so excited to hear all about it when you get back. I'll be checking in on here in case you update, but make the most of your time and stay off the computer. Give me a call when you get back, I have some big news to share :) I love you and hope this trip is everything you hope it to be.