Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Balancing Acts

Balance. We all deal with it everyday. I for one have been trying to balance multiple projects at work this past week, all the while facing my upcoming departure for 2 weeks. But that's not the balance I want to talk about. My concern is balancing my role as a videographer and that of a person who wants to be hands-on. You see, I like to be involved in things like helping others. I am not the kind of person to serve on the board of a non-profit or just talk about how we can make a difference, then pat myself on the back for being a good, caring individual. Clearly there is a place for people like that, but I'm not in that crowd. I want to get my hands dirty. So, I'm trying to imagine what it will be like in Jos when I feel like my primary role is to be an observer through the lens of a camera. I kind of had the same feeling when I visited Mississippi and New Orleans a week after Katrina with representatives from United Way and the Community Foundation of Fort Collins. I went with a video camera to document them dispersing money that had been raised in the FC community. It was great to be a part of that, but I really didn't feel like I was doing much. I think that's why I really enjoyed our mission trip to Gulfport, MS that following spring. Finally, I wasn't just an observer, I was a contributer. So for this trip I have to find a balance. I think the trick will be to be conscious of this and not allow myself to slip too far in either direction. Let's face it, if I make a really good video that gets shown across the country and raises lots of money and attention for Faith Alive, then I will be making a very big impact. On the other hand, if I travel all the way to Africa and hide behind my camera the whole time, then I think I'll be missing out on connecting with the local people.

Am I worried about the balance issue? Not really. I feel like I have been called to go on this trip to make a video, but I'm not just a video guy. I think having a camera and the need to interview people will give me ample opportunity to connect with and learn about people while I'm there. I also think having the desire to pitch in and help will provide me with a nice break from looking through a viewfinder, and probably open my eyes to things I might otherwise have missed. So rather than those two facets of my trip being independent, I think that they can actually be complementary and improve my experience.

I hope this makes sense. I'm kind of writing in a stream of consciousness fashion, and I don't feel like proofreading. So welcome to my brain and some of what goes on it there!

Only one more day! Thanks for reading and God be with you!

No comments: